Mission and Impact
Cures Within Reach improves patient quality and length of life by leveraging the speed, safety and cost-effectiveness of medical repurposing research, driving more treatments to more patients more quickly.
Cures is the philanthropic leader in drug, device and nutriceutical repurposing research, which has the potential to transform the lives of patients with unsolved diseases by delivering treatments that can be used in the near-term. Why do we care? Learn more about the current state of drug development here!
What we do
- Ask researchers for their repurposing ideas, creating a unique pipeline of potential medical solutions that are affordable to test and can be immediately incorporated into clinical care. All projects are vetted through internal and independent science review.
- Create financing for repurposing research through philanthropic funding that supports the best research coming through our pipeline, creating the greatest patient impact.
- Connect funders to high-impact repurposing projects, including individuals, foundations, patient advocacy groups, and investors wanting to make a difference in a particular therapeutic area.
- Facilitate the entire research process, from the agreement with the academic institution to reporting the progress of the research through completion, publication and dissemination of results.
- Cures’ facilitated research has created more than 12 treatments in use by patients today or funded for larger confirmatory clinical trials.
- All research must target an unsolved disease, repurpose at least one human approved medical asset, have the potential to improve patient lives in 3-5 years, cost less than $250k, and be publishable in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Many of our projects utilize generics and result in a more effective and affordable treatment, helping to reduce healthcare costs.
Launched June 1, 2015: CureAccelerator
To scale up our work and increase the number of patients we impact, we launched CureAccelerator in June, the world’s first interactive, online platform dedicated to repurposing research.